The Greatest Investment

Being a part of the Baby Boomer generation, I can remember often hearing that “Men have careers, women have jobs.”  This always seemed unfair to me, because my investment in myself and my work is just as valuable as any investment that a man would make. No man I ever worked with was more dedicated, […]

Community: Something Bigger Than Myself

Community is more family than anything. We send our friends and customers to other downtown stores and we all pitch in to keep Homeless Garry warm in the winter. We loan each other our tables, chairs, rock salt, ladders, wine openers, employees, and cars. We joke, we gossip, we give advice.

What if we all gave on the same day?

What if we all gave on the same day? I came across that headline when I was researching giving days for my job at the Richland County Foundation. It’s a powerful thought. What if everyone in Richland County joined together on one day and gave something. What would happen? Would things improve for local nonprofit […]

The community of yoga

A typical morning It’s 8:55 on Wednesday morning and students are filing into the studio. Coats are hung, shoes are kicked under the bench, and mats are dropped onto the floor. Hellos and hugs are offered, and the lovely chatter of friends begins. I listen carefully to snippets of conversation, catching up on news of […]

I love my life, really

I love animals, and as a little girl I dreamed of a career doing what I love, caring for animals as a veterinarian. Today though, I’m not a veterinarian. Fast forward 30+ years and I find myself the owner of a small business in my hometown and I love my life. The unexpected I’ve learned […]